A Manor of Flamborough was recorded in the Domesday Book and one has existed ever since. The
current Manor, dating from the last quarter of the 18th century and Grade II listed, is a classic
Georgian small country house of pleasing proportion.
We have been providing Bed &
Breakfast (B&B) accommodation
since 1987, when we first joined
Wolsey Lodges, a private
consortium of like-minded
accommodation providers. We
have tried to include as much
information as possible on this
site, but please do not hesitate to
contact us, if there are any queries.
When booking Accommodation
As we have only two guests' bedrooms,
cancellations affect us more than would be the case
for larger Guesthouses. For this reason, and in line
with what is now standard practice, when booking
accommodation, in addition to the usual details
(name, address, telephone number) we require a
valid credit card from which we take a non-
refundable deposit. In the unfortunate event of
cancellation, please be aware that additional
charges are also levied, and these are set out in
detail on the Tariff page.
We are not part
of the VAT (Value
scheme. All prices
shown on this
web-site are NET.
As the range of our activities is so diverse, we have a number of different websites. The main Flamborough Manor
site, which is where you are now, focuses primarily on accommodation (bed & breakfast) but has brief details of all
our other activities. To allow for more information to be presented on these other activities, we have other self-
contained web-sites and some of the links you will encounter while browsing these pages will take you to these
separate sites. To return to this site, simply go to the LINKS page, which is common to all our sites.
A Brief History of the House
The Manor House was built early in the 18th century (replacing an earlier Manor on this site) and was then re-fronted
and remodelled in the early 19th century. The present building, which is constructed of rendered chalk and brick with
stone dressings, is Grade II listed. The original rear wall is of massive chalk rubble and is probably part of the earlier
Apart from internal alterations, the house remained little changed until the early 1970s, when it was left abandoned
for most of the decade, resulting in a marked deterioration of the fabric of the house. When purchased by Lesley
Berry in 1979 in took two years to restore to its former glory.
This aerial photograph dates from about 1930 and shows the present Manor House surrounded by open fields, most of
which have since been developed with the exception of the large Tower Field (to the west of the house) which still
contains the remains of the old fortified Manor of the Constable Family.
This aerial photograph dates from about 1990 and shows the current layout of the house and outbuildings. The main
part of the house is set back from Lighthouse Road, with ample parking available in front of the small shop.
For much of the 1970s, the Manor House was derelict. It was restored by the current owner, using local craftsmen,
between 1979 and 1981. This was a major undertaking which involved replacing floors, taking the roof off, and
considerable internal redecoration in addition to the landscaping.
The photograph above probably dates from the 1940s and again shows the Manor House and attached buildings
virtually isolated by surrounding farmland and fields, much of which has been encroached upon by subsequent building.
The house is on the corner of Tower Street and Lighthouse Road but is set back from both and is well shielded. The
photograph above shows the Lighthouse Road entrance at far right, with the small converted outbuilding behind the
trees, and The Manor House further back still (just visible in the far left).
Flamborough Parish Church (St Oswald's) is situated a few hundred yards from the Manor House. The Tower dates from
1897, but parts of the Church are much older and the chancel arch is Norman. The main feature is a rood screen,
described as "one of the most complete in the Riding, even though much is renewed."
The grounds feature a small walled garden and a more formal rose garden (shown above)
Sunset over nearby Tower Field
House. Early C18, refronted and remodelled early C19. Rendered chalk rubble and brick with stone dressings, plinth, and
rusticated quoins, brick stacks. Central direct-entry plan with rear wing and outshut. 2 storeys, 5 bays, 2:1:2. 6-panelled
bolection-moulded door and rectangular fanlight with margin lights, in panelled reveals and soffit. Doorcase with reeded
pilasters, panelled frieze and shallow moulded cornice. All windows 16-pane sashes, except 12-pane sash over door, with
stone sills and channelled wedge lintels. Hipped roof. Interior contains 2 corner fireplaces and early C19 open string stair
with scrolled tread-ends, square section balusters, and moulded handrail. Room to right of entrance hall has fine re-used
fireplace of c1750 with eared architrave, frieze carved with shell and acanthus motifs in high relief, and moulded cornice.
The rear wall is of massive chalk rubble and may represent part of an older building on the same site.
Views of Flamborough Head
The Manor House, Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. YO15 1PD
Telephone: 01262 850943 [International: +44 1262 850943]
Web-site design & content Copyright © 2017 Geoffrey Miller
The Manor House
Accommodation, Books, Traditional Knitwear & Hand-Knitted Ganseys, Breton shirts
Lesley Berry and Geoffrey Miller
The Manor House
East Riding of Yorkshire YO15 1PD
Telephone: 01262 850943 (Mobile 07718 415234)
International: +44 1262 850943