Flamborough Manor

North & South Landing, Flamborough

Flamborough village is thought to have been colonized over 1,100 years ago by Scandinavians, and was referred to as "Fleneburg" in the Domesday Book (1086). Before this, there was also a Roman presence, which is evidenced by Beacon Hill, once the site of a Roman signal station. The village, cut off by the enormous defensive earthwork, erroneously called Dane's Dyke, still, to this day, has a distinctive character. Fishing was first recorded in the 13th century, when about nine boats fished the seas off the Head. By the 1890s, some eighty "cobles" were registered. Now, although some fishing is still carried on, the village relies to a greater extent on tourism. However, as the old postcards on this page demonstrate, Flamborough has always been a popular destination.
As the range of our activities is so diverse, we have a number of different websites. The main Flamborough Manor site, which is where you are now, focuses primarily on accommodation (bed & breakfast) but has brief details of all our other activities. To allow for more information to be presented on these other activities, we have other self- contained web-sites and some of the links you will encounter while browsing these pages will take you to these separate sites. To return to this site, simply go to the LINKS page, which is common to all our sites.
North & South Landings
Views of Flamborough Head
South Landing : Site of the new Lifeboat station and perhaps not as spectacular as North Landing, but with a better beach which is wonderful for picnics. South Landing is a ten minute walk from the Manor House (North Landing is almost two miles away) and, in addition to the beach itself, there is a circular nature trail walk around the top of the cliffs and the main cliff-top walk which takes you to the Lighthouse. The photographs are all from the circular walk, which takes approximately half an hour.
North Landing, Flamborough, in the foreground, with the main part of the village in the centre of the Headland (top right).
North Landing : Site of the old Lifeboat Station (now moved to South Landing), North Landing is still famous for its smugglers' caves and panoramic views north along the coast to Filey and Scarborough. Once the hub of Flamborough's small, but active fishing industry, a few cobles (the distinctive local fishing boat) can still be seen. The secluded beach at Thornwick (below), on the Filey side of North Landing, of  is the perfect place to while away a summer's afternoon.
An Edwardian postcard, showing North Landing and dozens of cobles (local fishing boats)
Thornwick Bay (at left)
North Landing, Flamborough
The Nature Trail at South Landing connects to the footpath leading to the Lighthouse, a walk of about two miles with panoramic views along the way of Bridlington Bay
The Manor House, Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. YO15 1PD Telephone: 01262 850943    [International: +44 1262 850943] E-mail:  gm@flamboroughmanor.co.uk
Web-site design & content Copyright © 2017 Geoffrey Miller
The Manor House Accommodation, Books, Traditional Knitwear & Hand-Knitted Ganseys, Breton shirts Lesley Berry and Geoffrey Miller The Manor House Flamborough Bridlington East Riding of Yorkshire YO15 1PD United Kingdom Telephone: 01262 850943 (Mobile 07718 415234) International: +44 1262 850943 E-mail: gm@flamboroughmanor.co.uk

A similar view today

South Landing (above), showing the Lifeboat Station

North Landing (above) on a calm day

Flamborough Manor

North & South Landing,

Flamborough

Flamborough village is thought to have been colonized over 1,100 years ago by Scandinavians, and was referred to as "Fleneburg" in the Domesday Book (1086). Before this, there was also a Roman presence, which is evidenced by Beacon Hill, once the site of a Roman signal station. The village, cut off by the enormous defensive earthwork, erroneously called Dane's Dyke, still, to this day, has a distinctive character. Fishing was first recorded in the 13th century, when about nine boats fished the seas off the Head. By the 1890s, some eighty "cobles" were registered. Now, although some fishing is still carried on, the village relies to a greater extent on tourism. However, as the old postcards on this page demonstrate, Flamborough has always been a popular destination.
This is the mobile variant of our web-site, specially designed for viewing on smartphones, but lacking some of the more detailed information available on our full-size site..
North & South Landings
Views of Flamborough Head
South Landing : Site of the new Lifeboat station and perhaps not as spectacular as North Landing, but with a better beach which is wonderful for picnics. South Landing is a ten minute walk from the Manor House (North Landing is almost two miles away) and, in addition to the beach itself, there is a circular nature trail walk around the top of the cliffs and the main cliff-top walk which takes you to the Lighthouse. The photographs are all from the circular walk, which takes approximately half an hour.
North Landing, Flamborough, in the foreground, with the main part of the village in the centre of the Headland (top right).
North Landing : Site of the old Lifeboat Station (now moved to South Landing), North Landing is still famous for its smugglers' caves and panoramic views north along the coast to Filey and Scarborough. Once the hub of Flamborough's small, but active fishing industry, a few cobles (the distinctive local fishing boat) can still be seen. The secluded beach at Thornwick (below), on the Filey side of North Landing, of  is the perfect place to while away a summer's afternoon.
An Edwardian postcard, showing North Landing and dozens of cobles (local fishing boats)
Thornwick Bay
North Landing, Flamborough
The Nature Trail at South Landing connects to the footpath leading to the Lighthouse, a walk of about two miles with panoramic views along the way of Bridlington Bay
The Manor House, Flamborough, Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire. YO15 1PD Telephone: 01262 850943    [International: +44 1262 850943] E-mail:  gm@flamboroughmanor.co.uk
Web-site design & content Copyright © 2017 Geoffrey Miller
The Manor House Accommodation, Books, Traditional Knitwear & Hand-Knitted Ganseys, Breton shirts Lesley Berry and Geoffrey Miller The Manor House Flamborough Bridlington East Riding of Yorkshire YO15 1PD United Kingdom Telephone: 01262 850943 (Mobile 07718 415234) International: +44 1262 850943 E-mail: gm@flamboroughmanor.co.uk

A similar view today

South Landing (above), showing the Lifeboat Station

North Landing (above) on a calm day

The Manor House Flamborough Bridlington East Riding of Yorkshire Telephone 01262 850943